When did you start making socks?Ã‚Â Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?Ã‚Â
- November 2004.Ã‚Â I taught myself.
What was your first pair?Ã‚Â How have they “held up” over time?
- My first pair were for my daughter, using the Knitting Pure & Simple Child’s Sock pattern.Ã‚Â I used some Bernat Hot Sox (pure acrylic, what was I thinking) which is a fingering weight yarn and the pattern actually called for a dk weight. Ã‚Â I was a new knitter, and didn’t know any better so the fabric of the socks was quite loose.Ã‚Â My son fits in them nowÃ‚Â and sinceÃ‚Â theyÃ‚Â were pureÃ‚Â acrylic they have “held up” fine except for the fact that they have no recovery and don’t stay up, ha.
What would you have done differently?
- Ummm, everything, lol.Ã‚Â I have becomeÃ‚Â a total yarnÃ‚Â snob.Ã‚Â I don’t really care about the brand so much, but the fiber content makes all the difference to me.Ã‚Â I would have used yarn appropriate for the pattern.
Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
- DPNs all the way!Ã‚Â I tried 2 circs and failed.Ã‚Â One day I will try the Magic Loop, maybe.
Which kind of heel do you prefer?Ã‚Â (flap? or short-row?)
- Flap, I have a high instep and the short-row just doen’t seem to work for me.Ã‚Â Plus, as Rabbitch would say, they look like ass when I try to knit them.
would say, they look like ass when I try to knit them.How many pairs have you made?
- Looks like 11 finished pairs in 2 years.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â No, 12! One pair, for daughter,Ã‚Â is missing from the picture.
5Ã‚Â pairsÃ‚Â for Daughter
3 pairs for Dulaan
1 pair for Son
1 pair for Holiday Gifting
1 pair for Sock Wars
1 pairÃ‚Â for me
So, if I continue knitting socks at the same rate (2yrs/12pr=1pr every 2 months) then I currently have enough sock yarn for more than seven years of sock knitting.Ã‚Â Hmm, I think I need to step up sock production.